“Eaters Guide to Berries”
[add_to_cart item=”9999″ quantity=”user”]
“Eaters’ Guide to Berries”
Jerry has written a book titled “Eaters Guide to Berries” and have copies available for purchase on this website or on Amazon.com. This book provides all a berry consumer may want to know about the why, how, and other issues of eating berries.
- Detailed discussion of the health benefits of specific berries – blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc. It contains references to recent major studies documenting the health benefits for the research-minded to dig deeper.
- Discussion of the varieties of various berries and their tastes, e.g. the difference in taste/sweetness of red, yellow, purple, and black raspberries.
- Data on storage life and how to maximize different long-term storage types
- The trade-offs of organic and non-organic berries; issues/benefits
- Recipes ranging from the familiar to unconventional
- How to shop for the best berries, where to find them and the best sizes
Beyond the healthy implications of berries, this book is about berries from the eaters’ point of view. It is written by an engineer who turned berry farmer after retirement, but who has had a lifetime interest in the impact of food on human health. This is truly an important read for anyone with health ailments or people interested in preventive health.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: A History of Berries
Chapter 2: Berry Types
Chapter 3: Health Benefits of BerriesPowerful Black Berries Antioxidant Potential Nutrition Phytochemical Diversity Specific Health Issues • Diabetes • Weight Management • Arthritis and Inflammation • Heart Health and Blood Pressure • Cancer Prevention/ Treatment • Depression • Alzheimer’s and Dementia
Chapter 4: Finding Quality Fresh BerriesRipeness Indicators Pick-Your-Own
Chapter 5: Organic vs. Conventionally GrownPesticides & Herbicides Conventionally Grown Organically Grown
Chapter 6: Storing BerriesFreezing Dehydration
Chapter 7: Recipes
Chapter 8: About the Author